The musical instrument pickups, effects units and amplifiers designed and manufactured
by Harry DeArmond and Bud Rowe and later by Steve Tosh in Toledo, Ohio, from the 1940s to the 1980s, through Rowe Industries Inc.,
H. N. Rowe & Company, Rowe DeArmond Inc., DeArmond Inc. and Tosh Electronics, all of Toledo, Ohio, USA.
Harry DeArmond, aged 16. He was born in Clinton, Kentucky in 1906. Harry was employed as a design consultant by Rowe Industries and the other Rowe companies until his retirement in 1975 (Photo copyright DeArmond Estate).
Bud Rowe and his wife, Viola (Photo courtesy of Toledo Public Library, Ohio)
. Bud was born in Toledo, Ohio in 1906. His background was in electronics and this work continued past the time when the pickup business was sold off in the 1980s. Bud retired in 1976.
The Wayne School building at 1702 Wayne Street, Toledo, in 1915
. View is looking Northwest. Rowe Industries purchased this building from the Board of Education in 1946, when they moved from 3120 Monroe Street. In 1950, the building was extended in size by over 100% (Photo courtesy of Toledo Public Library, Ohio).
The site of Rowe Industries' first premises, now demolished, at 3120 Monroe Street, Toledo, where DeArmond pickups were first manufactured. View is looking North. Bud Rowe's first company was Fox Electrical & Manufacturing, established here in 1931, manufacturing sound equipment for cinemas. In 1940 the name was changed to Rowe Industries, with Bud as President.
The site of the demolished Rowe DeArmond works at 1720 Airport Highway, Toledo, Ohio. This section of former Wayne Street was renamed Airport Highway in 1965. This photo was taken at the same location and looking in the same direction as the B/W photo dated 1915 above.
The Rowe DeArmond works at 1702 Wayne Street in the 1950s, after the original front half of the building (RHS of photo) had been extended to the rear (LHS of photo) by 100%. This view is looking Northeast.
This building, 4124 Secor Road, Toledo, was the location of DeArmond Research, Harry DeArmond's own company, from the 1930s to the 1960s.
Another view of 4124 Secor Road, taken in the 1950s, from the same angle, showing that the building has hardly changed externally (Photo copyright DeArmond Estate).
Steve Tosh joined
DeArmond in 1973, eventually becoming CEO of the music products part of
the company. During his time with the company, he was responsible for
the design and introduction of a number of new products and for updating
other existing products. Catalogs showing some products
produced by his own company, Tosh Electronics, which he established after the last DeArmond Toledo company ceased trading are shown in the Catalogs page of this site
was located at 1150 haskins Road, Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Some of these products were originally manufactured by
DeArmond and are shown in the Amplifiers page of this site, badged DeArmond.